Eggplants make the perfect, purple vessels for flavorful fillings, such as this Asian-inspired savory stuffing with quinoa, miso, beans, mushrooms, peppers, and ginger. Plus, it’s a plant-based meal in one! This recipe is a great way to showcase seasonal eggplant during the growing season. Plus, this vegan, gluten-free Eggplant Stuffed with Miso Quinoa is elegant enough to serve for special dinners, yet simple enough to enjoy on a busy weeknight. Why not serve it at your next gathering? Just try a hearty salad or soup as an accompaniment, with some crusty whole grain bread.
Eggplant Stuffed with Miso Quinoa
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings 1x
Eggplants make the perfect, purple vessels for this completely plant-based (vegan), gluten-free savory stuffing with quinoa, miso, beans, mushrooms, peppers, and ginger.
- 2 cups water
- ½ quinoa, uncooked
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 medium bell pepper (green, yellow, or red), diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced (i.e., oyster, shitake, brown)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 cup white beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add quinoa and bouillon cube, stir well, and cover. Simmer over medium for about 20 minutes, until tender. Remove from pan and drain any remaining water
- While quinoa is cooking, trim the flower end of the eggplants and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out the filling to leave about ¾-inch flesh on the eggplant skin. (Reserve scooped out eggplant flesh for soup, stews, or stir-fries.) Place eggplant shells in the bottom of a medium baking dish, with skin side down. Place 1 tablespoon of water in the bottom of the dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan or skillet and sauté onions, garlic, ginger and bell pepper for 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, parsley flakes, red chili flakes, miso paste, soy sauce, and vinegar and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, stirring well to distribute ingredients. Fold in cooked quinoa and beans, mixing well. Remove from heat.
- Fill each eggplant shell with quinoa filling (a generous ½ cup per shell), heaping on top. Sprinkle each stuffed eggplant with sesame seeds (about ¾ teaspoon each).
- Place dish, uncovered, in the oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, until filling is golden and eggplant is tender.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Makes 4 servings.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 344 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 17 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan entree, healthy vegan dinner, vegan eggplant dinner
For other plant-based meals, try:
Easy Italian Eggplant Bake
Chipotle Tomato Rice Power Bowl
Easy Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.